Thank you!

Any topic

Thank you!

Postby Hugh Dick » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 am

I am on Vista SP2 since 2008 and I have been using Chrome v49 since Google (probably bribed by Microsoft) refuses to allow me to upgrade to v50 and above unless I upgrade my OS too. Microsoft is desperate to get everyone to use Windows 10.

I also can't use the latest versions of alternative browsers e.g. Vivaldi, Opera. Firefox is dropping support for Vista later this year. Forced obsolescence for software is fantastic, eh?

Pale Moon is to Firefox is what Advanced Chrome is to Chrome.

The holy grail of browsers today is the mobile browser. Perhaps one day you can create a good forked version of the Android Chrome browser. All you have to do is

1) Make sure it runs stable, no random crashes.
2) Make sure it is not a resource hog, low memory footprint.
3) Has built-in ad blocking, which works even on unrooted devices.
4) Allow the user to seamless transfer/backup bookmarks and settings (to another browser or the PC) without using Google's sync feature.
5) Remove the various 'innovate features' by Google e.g. the Snippets and news feed on a new tab page in recent versions of Chrome.

And you will have a winner. So far, YuBrowser (a forked Chromium browser) on Android is the closest to ideal but it uses too much resources and is very unstable.
Hugh Dick

Re: Thank you!

Postby admin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:47 pm

Hello! I also refuse to install anything newer than windows 7, I will move to fedora o mint before that happens.

About mobile browsers the problem is that ANDROID development is terrible, not even google can do a good job creating stable applications, google maps is a resource hog that kills your phone in minutes.

I have done some JAVA development for ANDROID and everything is a mess, this is the reason why all android apps never run 100% stable, In my opinion JAVA is the worst shit ever...

Another problem with mobile browsing is heavy javascript on websites, many sites display tons of ads using javascript and do "background tasks" that are not approved by the visitor, this must stop, I have loaded websites that slows the entire browser even on a i7 intel core cpu.

Hopefully some day we will have a throttle engine inside the browser to block or reduce javascript load, the browser might ask the user "This site contains a shitload of javascript, do you really want to run this crap? this will take 10% of your battery"

Speedy processors and every year improvements have created very lazy programmers, some guys develop very slow apps loaded with crap that they hope someday newer processors will be able to run it properly.

About the 5 features you listed:

1) Make sure it runs stable, no random crashes.
This will depend of the specific version of chromium mobile, picking the right version is the key here..

2) Make sure it is not a resource hog, low memory footprint.
Google is making major optimizations for new versions

3) Has built-in ad blocking, which works even on unrooted devices.
I don't know how ad-blocking works but it should be possible to take the javascript source code of a good adblocker and integrate it on mobile chrome.

4) Allow the user to seamless transfer/backup bookmarks and settings (to another browser or the PC) without using Google's sync feature.
I don't know how mobile chrome stores user profile but should be possible to transfer settings with file copy, chromium encrypts passwords internally using windows crypt and your passwords can only be decoded by exactly the same hardware and windows setup, if you copy your chrome user profile to another computer you will loose all your passwords.
Advanced Chrome password encryption works as default but I disabled password encryption for my own browser, that means my passwords are stored unencrypted but I can copy my profile to my other computers without google sync, if you like I can share with you the version that has password encryption disabled and allows to copy the entire user profile without problems.

5) Remove the various 'innovate features' by Google e.g. the Snippets and news feed on a new tab page in recent versions of Chrome.
Actually I haven't found this features annoying, I always setup my browser to open "last session" and my home button opens google.com.

Will be great to create a community fork of mobile chrome with all this stuff plus a javascript throttle, it is a lot for work for a single dev like me lol
admin
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion