Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Any topic
DoaJC_Blogger

Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by DoaJC_Blogger » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Can someone, perhaps the admin, help me out with compiling an older Windows XP-compatible copy of Chromium? I was able to do a "gclient sync" and get a version from 2015 to compile about 10% before failing. I'd like to work on a fork similar to Advanced Chrome so I would like to learn how the admin started his fork and how he compiles it.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by admin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:53 pm

Hi, the problem is that depot_tools is designed for newer versions, even if you manage to download it you won't be able to build it easily because it will need older SDK, older everything, I believe the only way is to have an exact old snapshot of the environment.

The first you need to do is install visual studio community edition, I do recommend not doing all of this in your main windows, I always boot to a different drive using VHD BCD boot, if something goes wrong you just delete the image and start over.

You need to follow this guide:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom ... uctions.md

gclient sync takes hours on a slow internet, download is about 12gb or more and contains millions of files.

Then after you download latest version, you can try to checkout some older version and try to compile.
To checkout older version you need to use GIT: git checkout REVISION
You need to find the REVISION number, what i do is check the log of a file and pick one of the revisions:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom ... d_thread.h

After you get all the source code then you can try to build, thats the hardest part.
You need a good computer btw, here got a RYZEN 1800 @4ghz, 16GB, Fast SSD and it takes 1 hour to build, on my older computer took 4 hours, you need lot of CPU cores and lots of DDR4.

Good luck!

DoaJC_Blogger

Post by DoaJC_Blogger » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:12 pm

Thank you for the reply. I managed to make it compile by getting an old copy of the depot_tools, but it still doesn't run on Windows XP.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Many people have tried to make it run on Windows XP and never works, google removed all support and have been adding new code that won't work under XP, making chrome 70+ to work under XP will be much harder than patching version 60, every code they have added since version 50+ will need to be patched to support XP and we are talking about more than 9,000,000 lines of code, not even google with lot of employees will be able to do it.

Dibya

Post by Dibya » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:10 am

@admin
Please can you tell me which depot tools shall I use to compile chromium 49?
Where in source code user agent is defined?
I will try to patch chromium 49 with all security patch and try to port newer blink engine into it .

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Hello!
User agent is at /src/content/common/user_agent.cc
The problem will be mostly the V8 engine that is really interlinked with blink, newer blink means that all the new sandboxing won't work under XP, close to impossible task but good luck!

DoaJC_Blogger

Post by DoaJC_Blogger » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:04 pm

@admin: Have you considered implementing a DirectShow-based decoder for Advanced Chrome? That would enable it to decode MP4 and MP3 on Windows XP.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:25 am

Maybe would be easier to integrate VLC as internal player on chrome and include all it's features at the same time.

I wonder why people still use XP when fedora, mint and ubuntu will work much better on older hardware.
XP is no longer good for games, no longer good for multimedia, maybe people is afraid of linux but is as simple as burning the iso and install, then download libre office, komodo, sublime text, android studio, virtualbox and whatever you need, all free and away from microsoft.

About windows 10 yesterday downgraded a friend's laptop to windows 7, it was really hard to find drivers but at the end managed to download everything.
Laptop is an HP with 8GB RAM with 5 core AMD R9 CPU, stock windows 10 was doing crazy background stuff for too long, tried killing process and got 'no permission', after hours trying to do stuff windows 10 updated itself without asking and start menu stopped working, damaged itself, unusable and took years to boot, maybe is HP fault but is amazing how bad it is.

With windows 7 boots in seconds and runs 5 times faster like if it was a different computer, I always install classic shell and disable indexing, superfetch, system restore and many other 'features', far from stock windows 7 config.

Making a clean version of windows 10 will be harder, seem like 80% of whatever it includes is useless crap, someday will be forced to update and I will have to remove all the shit.

I use fedora to work and windows 7 for games, hard to believe people still use XP, the only sane reason I can think of is for old games that won't run on windows 7, otherwise XP is ugly, slow, outdated, not free, no new games, no drivers, is abandonware.

What XP can do that any linux free alternative can't?