My little theory on Google's font rendering

Any topic

My little theory on Google's font rendering

Postby Axonis » Tue May 08, 2018 4:27 am

From the DirectWrite Analysis article:

[quote]Why Google ends up with this blurry render? The answer is simple but scary, they just like it blurry.[/quote]

I think there's more than that. Many sites are using Google's fonts which look really bad on Firefox (and probably any other browser besides Chrome) because they are optimized for the blur. For example, Discord is using such fonts and they are very hard to read on Firefox.

Your approach to the problem is the best solution I think. Directwrite is fast and your rendering is probably the best of both worlds, so that both normal true type fonts look fine and Google's fonts optimized for blur look fine as well.
Axonis

Re: My little theory on Google's font rendering

Postby admin » Thu May 10, 2018 10:21 am

Hi Axonis welcome to the forum, thanks for your comments and I agree with you, maybe Google's fonts look fine on retina displays or 4k screens but at least here with a normal 720p laptop they look terrible even on chrome, washed out without contrast, in firefox they look worse because they use GDI.

I guess they give nice computer monitors to google employees lol but in real world is different, I wonder if this teory is true, for example, how this page looks on stock chrome with a retina display: https://discordapp.com/features

here "https://discordapp.com/features" barely looks readable with Advanced Chrome 68.0.3419.0, using stock chrome is not readable for me, why they use that font?

Seems they are using this color #737f8d, changed the color to black and reads much better, sometimes the problem is not the font, the color is.
admin
Site Admin

Re: My little theory on Google's font rendering

Postby Burling » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:21 am

I would certainly not put these shady tactics past Google. They'll do anything to keep themselves on top. I guess that's understandable to some degree, but it still sucks.
Burling

Return to General Discussion