Chromium Losing Google Private API Support

Any topic
c-sanchez

Chromium Losing Google Private API Support

Post by c-sanchez »

Hi admin, you're probably already aware of the news, but for all of you who don't know, Chromium and all Chromium-based browsers, including Advanced Chrome, will lose support for Google APIs in March.
If I'm not mistaken, the browser sync with Google account among several other features such as the integrated translator, will no longer work, unless you use Chrome.

Is there a solution for this?
Or maybe it's time to follow the idea of projects like Iridium Browser, Ungoogled Chromium, among others and eliminate any dependency, need for Google services?

Interest topics:
Sync and other features may stop working in some Chromium browsers in March 2021
https://www.ghacks.net/2021/01/16/sync- ... arch-2021/

Chromium Losing Google Private API Support Soon [Options and Way Forward]
https://www.debugpoint.com/2021/02/chro ... i-support/

What do you think about it Admin?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Chromium Losing Google Private API Support

Post by admin »

Hello csanchez, already posted something about this in other thread, copied here:

--------------------------

Thanks for your comments and for now will keep updating Advanced Chrome until Google kill this project somehow, Google is "mad" because chromium browsers are using sync feature "for free" using Google infrastructure so they are going to stop all of this around march.

If Google blocks chromium from their APIs then we won't be able to sync between devices, the only way to at least copy your profile without any problem will be using portable.txt trick.

For those reading this post, I do recommend to add portable.txt mode to your Advanced Chrome so your passwords are saved unencrypted (locally) so you will be able to copy your entire profile to a different PC with working passwords (perfect copy), this will become handy if at some point Advanced Chrome is unable to sync with google servers.

How encryption works? its tied to your specific hardware configuration so if you copy your chrome profile to a different computer then all passwords will be lost, saved passwords can't be decrypted in a different hardware signature, to be able to copy your profile including all passwords you can add portable.txt, the full process to convert to unencrypted mode is as follows:

1.- Be sure sync is ON and working with full sync, then close Advanced Chrome
2.- Delete your local profile, mine is located at C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Chromium
3.- Create a TXT file called portable.txt at Advanced Chrome folder, the same directory where chrome.exe is located.
4.- Start the browser with clean profile
5.- Login with google and enable browser sync, this will configure your entire browser as it was previously.
6.- Your passwords now are saved locally and unencrypted

The process without google sync:

1.- Export your passwords to plain text, first you must enable a flag for this feature, for more info about password export you can search on google.
2.- Close Advanced Chrome and delete a single file C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data\Default\Login Data
3.- Create a TXT file called portable.txt at Advanced Chrome folder, the same directory where chrome.exe is located.
4.- Start the browser
5.- Import passwords from your plain text file
6.- Your passwords now are saved locally and unencrypted

I personally use portable.txt mode to be able to clone my full profile to other computers, saving unencrypted passwords is not safe but if you get hacked then you are wasted even with password encryption on, use full disk encryption, BIOS password and other security measures on TOP.

Will try to post this info on the main page in case google gets crazy with sync feature.

I won't be able to develop and host a sync feature by myself, this might be the end for several small projects like this one, thanks to Google!

Joel

Post by Joel »

Hello, it is not necessary to use Google synchronization, you can use xbrowsersync synchronization https://www.xbrowsersync.org/, the extension is installed and it synchronizes with one of the public servers (the best apparently are the one from Romania and Germany), unless you have a vps and install your own server: https://github.com/xbrowsersync/api
Last edited by Joel on Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good tip Joel, thanks!