anhsparkyqt0

Chrome 95.x released

Post by anhsparkyqt0 »

Should you publish a 95.x build of Advanced Chrome admin? :D

admin
Site Admin

Re: Chrome 95.x released

Post by admin »

Already built a 96.x but still has many problems, there are many vulnerabilities in all previous versions because the sandbox they developed don't even work properly.
It is so bad that I am moving to Firefox for now, feels much faster but I miss advanced chrome download manager.

anhsparkyqt0

Post by anhsparkyqt0 »

admin wrote:
> Already built a 96.x but still has many problems, there are many
> vulnerabilities in all previous versions because the sandbox they developed
> don't even work properly.
> It is so bad that I am moving to Firefox for now, feels much faster but I
> miss advanced chrome download manager.

So you are not gonna to release a 95.x build of Advanced Chrome?

I don't understand your release scheme much. Some versions are skipped and it seems you don't track the latest version of Chrome. For example, Chrome used to have 94.0.4606.81 as the latest version of the 94.x series but your build stuck at 94.0.4590.0 and it seems you are not going to update it to follow Chrome. Now Chrome is at version 95.0.4638.54 and you are not going to track this version, too, but instead tracking Chrome 96.x which is not yet released?

It seems it's not about even or odd version number as I saw you have builds for Advanced Chrome 91.x :?:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't have a "release scheme" so updates depends on how the "newer" versions work, sometimes they suck and they start removing stuff like NPAPI so I try to stay with the good old version, but sometimes is time to update because newer versions are working better, I try to test them a lot so there is no plan or release scheme but sometimes I don't have time for this, also it takes like 3 hours each version so in total is about 9 hours to build linux and both windows versions.

Currently chrome sucks, v96.x is very slow like half the speed of 94.x, the test build I created for v96 was terrible, unable to print since print preview crashes and browsing feels bad, too bad to be true.

Also there are several vulnerabilities they are trying to fix thus making it slower, it really shows.

anhsparkyqt0

Post by anhsparkyqt0 »

What about the security aspect? Many of my friends afraid using other Chromium based browser other than Google Chrome, for example, ungoogled-chromium, and even Microsoft Edge included, because they think these browsers just don't have the latest greatest security fixes compared to Google Chrome. They always lacks behind Google Chrome. I don't know how much truth in their statement but at least I know this part is right: the Chromium based browsers always lack behind Google Chrome and Google Chrome always contains the latest greatest fixes.

BTW, I have to switch back to Chrome for now since I found Advanced Chrome is much slower than Google Chrome. I think I know the reason why. It could be because Google builds Chrome with the best optimization techniques available and we just can't compare with them since we don't have such processing power. But I will miss Advanced Chrome much, because of the better scrolling experience and tear-free video watching on youtube. I don't know why but recently Google Chrome makes the video on youtube tearing too much. Firefox is much better at playing youtube video tear-free. It's ironical, since Google Chrome is broken on Google's own platform, youtube.

anhsparkyqt0

Post by anhsparkyqt0 »

On Google Chrome 95.x onward, Reading list is no longer able to be disabled via chrome://flags since the flag to disable it now removed. Reading list is very annoying for me and luckily I found the solution: passing the --disable-features=ReadLater switch to the chrome binary. I hope you could some how keep the flag so Reading list could be disabled inside the browser but not by an external switch passed to the chrome binary. Thanks.

anhsparkyqt0

Post by anhsparkyqt0 »

Of course I will try out your future build if it's released. But now I'm back to Google Chrome. Bye.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes its funny how google chrome can be the worst browser for youtube, also just noticed that firefox is much faster loading google charts (100% javascript) so I guess the javascript engine or rendering engine of firefox is faster.

About the flag is not that hard to add a return; somewhere to disable it depending on some external .ini or even a command line parameter, sadly to add a proper flag on chrome://flags you need to modify a lot of files so it is always easier to work with command line parameters or an external config.

I will have to wait until google patches everything, currently they are on fire with many commits and working on vulnerabilities, because of this all newer versions are "flaky" on the build waterfall, looks like they are patching the code to avoid vulnerabilities without optimizing and with that hurry they don't care if some feature stops working, long road for them.

Seems google chrome is losing some market share vs edge and firefox, mostly because people now cares about privacy and tracking policies but they have always existed, currently there is no perfect browser, I haven't tried BRAVE tough.