Reviving Chromium for XP.

Any topic
LordFrick

Reviving Chromium for XP.

Post by LordFrick »

Hello, I'm new here. I'm a Chromium developer, and make my own browser for linux called Thorium > https://github.com/Alex313031/Thorium

Anyway, I am also a legacy computing enthusiast, and was sad to see that the link to the M54 special build for XP was taken down a while back.
I am asking to see if someone can share with me the source code, so that I can continue work on this and possibly rebase it on M57. It would be a nice addition to the XP community (which surprising to most, still has a large userbase/fan base.)

Also, in relation to this, why DID ya'll take down this build??
For anyone who comes across this and wants it, you can still download here > https://web.archive.org/web/20190415232 ... 6530.0.zip

admin
Site Admin

Re: Reviving Chromium for XP.

Post by admin »

Hello welcome to the forum, nice to see a computing enthusiast around here!
Didn't knew the web.archive saved big zip files so it is interesting, M54 was a good build but as the web moves forward I don't think is a good option anymore.
What really worries right now is the google / chrome situation, I don't feel like it's going in the right direction, to the point I have moved to Firefox while chromium situation improves, the worst part is chrome android version that everyday gets worse, I don't like it a bit.

Maybe I am a "legacy" computer enthusiast too, I don't like current big stack around every tech, overcomplicated crap, anti-pattern OOP and layers and layers of bloated software, javascript abuse on many sites, saturated markets and whatever we can think of... so at this point I am sure I can be tagged as a "legacy" engineer.

c-sanchez

Post by c-sanchez »

Hi admin, I am currently looking for the opinion of some programmers and their opinion about OOP and its problems.

Since I have seen the opinion of some programmers (very good programmers in my opinion) rejecting OOP and yet it is a very poorly documented opinion compared to the level of recommendation that OOP has.

I would be grateful to read your opinion about it, the problems and your experience with it.

Finally, any related fun facts?
For example with Chrome / Advance Chrome / Firefox or any other software.

I will send you a link to private for more.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello c-sanchez!

Indeed there are very good programmers that reject OOP and most of the time the rejection will be related on how it is implemented, bloatware and the current trend of anti-pattern practices against the objects.

I believe OOP must be used on memory persistent apps with interfaces, that will apply to any windows app with user interface, linux GUI, or whatever you can imagine with an interface with a running process, for a programmer is very easy to understand all parts involved as objects because is natural.

I reject the new trend about CLOSURES that allow to manipulate a private class member from the outside or any other trendy method to create anti-pattern practices on OOP, function injection and such must be avoided.

On the other side you have stateless apps, these are created to output some code and then die, the best example is the Webservices, UNIX scripts, text parsers, PHP Backend, Python Backend..etc, so for this kind of environment I will always try the simplest code with a minimal approach that is also easy to read and the best for this is a functional / procedural approach, the problem with OOP is that most of the time you will be creating objects that at the end will be destroyed just to output JSON or HTML.

Most of the time OOP will involve a ORM to manipulate a database, for the web this is overkill, you don't need these layers of abstraction, you don't need to abstract the database, you don't need to create an object representing a row in the database, writing your own optimized SQL and using arrays will be better in every way.

So at the end I am against over-architecture, bloated code and current way of doing things.

Full stack developers? they need them because they are using many tools (third party tools) that they barely know how to use or maintain, at some point the final product will become abandon-ware if a small part of their stack is deprecated.

Developers talking about DEPENDENCY? they care so much about it because a hello world app will have many of them and they don't even know why..

Think about any software out there, in the 90's you could fit big apps in a floppy disk of less than 1mb, now they eat gigabytes like there is no tomorrow, developers needed to code in a very optimal way to fit the app in memory, now they don't care, why? because we all have supercomputers compared to what we had years ago.

So for a guy like me looking at current "tech" is like, WTF, what they are smoking, also I have the same feeling for the current way of living, I am not even that old but the today's world is crazy..

Just taking a look to an average "smart phone" out there with a 2Ghz CPU and 4 cores, how they can be so slow? the problem is not the hardware, the problem is the software, it is getting worse every day and they don't even care, they just fill the OS with crap-ware and bloat-ware and smile..

Hoa this was fun!!! :D

c-sanchez

Post by c-sanchez »

Heh your answer is great :D
I sent you a private message with more details.
Thank you.