predictable new versions

Any topic
gigel

predictable new versions

Post by gigel » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:30 am

@admin, i very much appreciate your efforts to build this monster with the download patches!
do you think you can keep up with google releases schedule?

i lately moved to srware because they keep producing build after build in a predictable manner, but i hate that they ignore requests to integrate your patches (they simply ignore my posts about it, never say 'yes' or 'no').

btw - can i simply move my profile between srware and advanced chrome? because i have customized preferences for extensions, my settings etc

thank you!

admin
Site Admin

Re: predictable new versions

Post by admin » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi Gigel, welcome to the forum!

Keeping up with the googles is not that easy but I really need a functional browser, sometimes new versions are worse because they keep removing things or make experiments that do not improve the browser in any way.

The improvements of advanced chrome are easy to apply to new versions, so I can keep this forever at the same speed or even faster but the problem is the new bugs they create or the core features they remove.

For example, enabling NPAPI will be very hard on newer versions because they are actually removing everything, from a developer point of view they create a mess.

So, I can keep up with the speed but google can't keep up with the quality, is very common to pick a new version to later find some stuff stopped working, if you read google chrome forums you will find 90% of reports are complains about features that stopped working on newer versions or new feature requests that they ignore.

About SRWare I have not tried their version but if they left the default path it should work.

Chromium uses this one
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Chromium\User Data

So if you place any profile there even from other forks it will work.

The only problem is that sometimes google change profile format in some way and after running a new version even only once it automatically updates the profile and stops working on older versions.

Is common to try to revert to some older version to find out that the profile is not working anymore.

If you use google sync then is easy to repair, you just delete bookmarks file or password file (web data) and it will rebuild the deleted file using cloud data.

About SRWare mod to chromium, do you recommend doing the same privacy fixes on advanced chrome?

In my point of view, I don't really care if google tracks me because they already have my passwords and sync data, emails, bookmarks and more, so they already have tons of data about everyone, sometimes you have to trust..

admin
Site Admin

Re: predictable new versions

Post by admin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:36 am

Just checked out Iridium Browser and most of what they do to source code is to disable by default many chrome features but google already provides some way to disable them at settings page.

It appears that google gives to their users a simple way to disable privacy related features at the settings page, what does SRWare do to the source code? do they provide a way to see what exactly they do?

I just check the SWare Iron page and if you read the comparison list between Chrome and SRWare you will discover that some features they are supposed to remove do not exist in chromium, so there is no google privacy features to remove.

They talk about installationID and auto update, but these are not even included in chromium, so what they really change in source code? maybe they release stock chromium with adblocker and user agent changer.

I don't think they have bad intentions but doesn't make sense to me, all people looking for privacy can download chromium and disable all google features at settings page and you won't have any installationID and update problems.