Speed of newer builds

Any topic
Alex654

Speed of newer builds

Post by Alex654 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:36 am

Hi again,

I made some kind of researh on my own (though it is very subjective and not accurate at all), and I feel that Chromium as a browser is performing slower and slower with every next version. For example (tested on Windows XP), version 45 is much faster than 47 (it is noticable when doing AJAX loads on modern pages in social networks, loading full pages, loading pages generated by extensions (tested with my own extension), and opening "Save" dialog for pictures). And version 47 is much faster then your latest build.

Maybe it is because of some compiler optimizations, that have been disabled in the autumn of 2015 because of the upcoming drop of XP support. Maybe it's because V8 engine has become heavier and more complicated because of ES 2015 and ES 2016 support, that requires more complex parsing of code.

The question is: if you have some time (well, maybe not in the near future) could you please test different builds that you have (since Chrome 50) on both Win XP and Win 7 and find out which is the fastest one?

I love Chrome very much, most of all because it is very fast and reliable. But since versions 46-49 things have gone worse in terms of speed. I cannot use Chrome 45 everywhere, because it doesn't support ES 2015, and 10-15% of sites get broken in it. Version 47 doesn't support ES 2015 either. Version 49 shoud support it, but I suppose it would be even worse in terms of speed (even the changelog of V8 says that in version 5.0 (Chromium 50) many performance improvements have been made, but is is unavailable on Win XP).

So, can we have faster and still ES 2015 compliant Chromium? Maybe somehow it's possible to build the browser exactly as it was in versions 40-45, but with modern version of V8? I know it's stupid, but maybe it's not so difficult to perform, since the API of V8 should be mostly the same as it was. Many people would be happy to have such browser, because some more complicated features (such as debugging) are used rarely and can be done in a different build. And for everyday surfing it's all that matters: speed, simplicity of UI, reliability (the browser should not crash even with many tabs), extensions, and modern JS code support.

Dibya

Re: Speed of newer builds

Post by Dibya » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 am

nothing it got bloated due to dumping XP api and adopting crappy NT6.x api .

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi, New V8 engine is supposed to be faster and on newer versions they added new functions and tons of other stuff so it is not possible to speed it up downgrading to a previous versions.

I dont have a problem with javascript but lately many sites are abusing of browser CPU, constant 45% CPU load after web page finished loading, most of the sites doing this are online news.

I had to disable javascript for all sites and using exception list for my sites, youtube, google, gmail.. etc.

Also heard there is a bitcoin miner in javascript so when you go to certain sites they will use your computer so they can earn money.

Alex654

Post by Alex654 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:42 pm

No, the problem is not the scripts themselves. It is the browser.

It's something with the browser itself, I think (at least when it comes to opening a folder with a large number of photos to save a picture,this operation somehow is slower on newer versions). The loading of pictures itself on a clean browser with only one extension, which only centers the image and applies a gray background, also seems to be slower in 47 than in 45. I see no explanation to this behaviour. I thought about the disk cache, but well, the pictures are different every time, and the JS code of the extension should already be cached when the browser is started next time.

I will test the latest custom build on this aspect, maybe it will perform better than Chrome 47.

About features - can these tons of features be slowing down the processing of JS?

P.S. How does NT 6.x API matter as Dibya said, NT 6.x has been always supported since the beginning of Chrome in 2009.

However, it can be so that in versions 47-49 NT 5.1 calls are made through some laggy wrapper, not directly. That could explain such strange things. They could easily remove that wrapper in version 50 or modify its logic so that it doesn't make NT 5.x calls anymore.
Last edited by Alex654 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:58 pm

Every development iteration makes software bigger, just take a look at the size of chrome binaries, they where about 30mb years ago and now is up to 100mb

They are extending the v8 engine, thats why gmail no longer works with old chrome versions, actually google sends different javascript depending on user agent.

About JS speed benchmarks show that newer versions are getting faster, at least they are optimizing the code.

The problem with chromium in windows is that developers are trying to stay up to date with visual studio and microsoft metro shit, they are removing legacy code and trying to remove build hacks like "If defined(OS_WIN)" so this ends only supporting latest versions of OSs.

If you ask JS developers is really a pain mantaining the source code up to date, you never know when your code will stop working because google draconians think that some function have to be deprecated.

Same with Android, you build now ok and 3 years later you try to build with latest android studio and will be only pain.

Versions 42 to 52 are buggy because they were trying to clean webkit and started adding hacks to blink, that created tons of javascript problems, they have wrappers everywhere, they seem to love them.

Alex654

Post by Alex654 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:43 am

>actually google sends different javascript depending on user agent

At least it's working, thanks for that :) The same is actual for YouTube.

>Versions 42 to 52 are buggy

I'm using 45 and don't see any bugs. Well, except for some strange system halts (without even BSOD) when trying to close Chrome with lots of tabs opened on Windows XP 32 bit.