Advanced Chrome Custom Build and newer Widevine plugins

Any topic
aviator

Advanced Chrome Custom Build and newer Widevine plugins

Post by aviator » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Thank you very much for your extraordinary work. Is there any chance to update Advanced Chrome for XP to support Widevine plugin v1.4.9 and newer ones? I think that was the only way to watch some DRM protected videos in XP with the help of One-Core-API.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Advanced Chrome Custom Build and newer Widevine plugins

Post by admin » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:05 pm

Hello! welcome to the forum, you can update widevine DLLs in WidevineCdm directory, it might cause problems, you will need to place DLLs for 32bits

You can get widevine latest DLLs from chrome 32bits, It is very possible that widevine will stop working completly with newer DLLs, there might be differences on the library itself that are not coded into older chromium.

Try this and comment here if you find something

aviator

Post by aviator » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:48 am

I had already tried that and it doesn't work with Widevine v1.4.9. so I wonder if it would be possible to add support for newer Widevine plugins to Advanced Chrome Custom Build? As far as I know there's no browser for XP with such capability (there is similar problem with Basilisk for XP). I used to play some Widevine protected videos using Kernel32.dll from One-Core-API and one simple manifest file in browser's folder for redirection (which means without installing One-Core-API). That worked for one website until they started to use newer Widevine version. Thank you very much once again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Sadly there is no way to fix this issue because of DRM security, software moves forward too fast, at this point XP get's worse every minute.

Alex654

Post by Alex654 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:14 am

Sorry for offtopic, could someone explain how Widevine and another DRM solutions work? Or post a link where I can read about this in more detail.
I mean, you pay the online store when you buy some content (for example, you buy access via subscription). Now the server can identify you via cookies and know that you have the right to watch some video, so it can provide you with the temporary link.

Using Widevine means that the media stream is encrypted on the fly, I suppose. So it's interesting:

1. How the server provides the client plugin with the key to decode the stream
2. What's wrong with older plugin versions
3. What is the point of doing all that stuff if the temporary link generated on per-user basis is enough?

Thanks anyone.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 am

1.- DRM provides different encryption every session so will be hard for you to decode and save the stream locally, similar handshake of SSH keys and they call it CENC.
2.- They usually "improve" stuff and make "older" DRM unsupported, they believe everyone have latest version of DRM and they never support older versions, they don't even care, even they have different levels of security L1, L2 & L3 and so on, they want you to run the latest level, when a client connects the server checks plugin version and supported features.
3.- First they protect the session to set limits of where you can watch content and how many sessions, etc, then DRM works at buffer level so no one can "save" the stream, they think more protections are better, nothing is enough.

Widevine doesn't charge a license fee, they only need to pass a certification process that costs lots of $$$.

Even with DRM people always find a way to save the stream ;)

Alex654

Post by Alex654 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:57 pm

I guess you can save something, but it won't play since it is encrypted. So it is the build-in plugin that decodes the buffer before sending data to the decoder (and then it plays normally either via Flash or HTML5)? Clever, I think it is a reasonable idea to prevent saving of content (even though one can run a screen capture program anyway).

Also I suppose there are some people who are able to hack this (I know it is illegal) and make the DLL that acts like original but also dumps the decoded data somewhere. Even if such protection engines as Denuvo get cracked after some time...

Also it's enteresting how to set up the server part which encodes the stream, and how much does it cost for media holders to obtain that software. You were speaking about browser vendors when wrote about expensive certification and no license, I suppose?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:12 am

Yes, It works like some kind of license anyway and is very expensive, as you say they always find a way to save the stream so maybe using simpler and cheaper tech to protect the stream is better even if it's easier to crack, hackers always win anyway, might be better to save money lol