Maxthon Browser for XP

Any topic
rasie1

Maxthon Browser for XP

Post by rasie1 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:04 am

Maxthon has updated its Windows XP compatible browser since version 5.3.8.300 to the Chromium Kernel 69:

http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?/release-notes5/

Alex654

Re: Maxthon Browser for XP

Post by Alex654 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:37 pm

Wow, that's really cool! Will try it out.

But nevertheless I prefer most of all alternatives a Chromium build with minimal changes to the UI, DevTools and such things (New Moon builds 27.9.x and 28.4.x with Gecko/Tycho/UXP engine are OK, but some things don't work there as they should).

So I still hope that Admin will make one day some newer custom build of Advanced Chrome for Windows XP :)

Alex654

Post by Alex654 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:48 pm

I have tested the latest beta that I found on that page (and it is not V 5.3.8.300, but V 5.2.7.2300 for me, it is the max version that I see using Chrome 45 on Windows XP). Works fine, but the text looks not very good - as in basic Chrome (not Advanced Chrome, where the antialiased text looks much better and less tinted), but with very strange spacing between glyphs (I suppose it is named kerning). Sometimes the letters are too close, nearly one upon another, and sometimes spaces are too big. Also the text in DevTools looks terrible. So - unfortunately, I won't use it much...

Screenshots:
https://dropmefiles.com/gqBIZ

ZERO

Post by ZERO » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:55 am

MAXTHON one of the best XP browsers, it has a built-in manual user agent without installing BURDENSOME plugins!! This is much better than errored firefox 52.9, which I have now been forced to using

rasie1

Post by rasie1 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:32 am

@ Alex654: I've tested the following portable version of the Maxthon Browser on Windows XP Home SP3 (with POSReady Updates):

http://dl.maxthon.com/mx5/maxthon_porta ... 00-beta.7z (Fixed the compatibility issue for Windows XP system)

It works except for a few pages with incorrect text representation amazingly well. Still, my favorite browsers, if I still occasionally go online with XP are the portable Yandex browser (Chromium 57 based) and Basilisk 55. I just wanted to provide the information that Maxthon offers a Chromium 69 based browser for XP.

docR

Post by docR » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:01 am

Maxthon is rather neat. Honestly though, I just don't see the appeal in using XP anymore. I was cool with it up til about a year ago, but after that it just started to fall apart. When you have to sacrifice on a web browser, which is nearly an OS in and of itself nowdays, the whole prospect just feels clumsy and counter-intuitive at best. Win7 is a bit different, but it's still quite tweakable and stable. If I were to shoot a screenshot, you prob wouldn't be able to make heads or tails of what version of Windows I'm using, lol. Higher sys requirements, but RAM's cheap as candy.
Windows 10 is some hostile shit though. Several different UI toolkits, bland vector-based theme engine, battery/memory optimization akin to vomit.. yeah we're in trouble, that being the future of the platform.

Alex654

Post by Alex654 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:32 pm

docR wrote:
> I was cool with it up til about a year ago, but after
> that it just started to fall apart.

I don't see anything falling apart. As for browsers I'm using Chrome 45 and Firefox 52.9 ESR on a daily basis (sometimes I have to switch to Chrome 49 or New Moon 27.9.6).

For me XP is still the best in terms of speed (startup speed and overall HDD performance with correct AHCI drivers) and font rendering :)

Alex654

Post by Alex654 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:34 pm

rasie1 wrote:

> It works except for a few pages with incorrect text representation
> amazingly well.

Could you please make a screenshot of a web page? I'm insterested if I am the only one experiencing these issues with kerning.

As for DevTools font it looks ugly on Windows 7 in the latest Chrome builds too - just checked a few days ago at work. There it looks just a little bit better because of using the native display resolution - but still bad and blurry.