Advanced Chrome for xp and Facebook

Post here any problems you may encounter
JereT

Advanced Chrome for xp and Facebook

Post by JereT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:21 pm

Yesterday, 2019 02 13, it appears FB changed its HTML code somehow and now Chromium can not render FB pages accurately. They are unusable. Can anything be done about this aside from abandoning chromium and/or xp? Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Advanced Chrome for xp and Facebook

Post by admin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:34 am

That doesn't sound good, I believe twitter has the same problem, version 54.20.6530.0 is too old, time to update your windows, if you need W7 or ubuntu I can help.

JereT

Post by JereT » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks for the reply. As of this morning both Twitter and FB pages seem to be rendering properly. Maybe I issued a false alarm or they got a bunch of static and backed off?

I know I will eventually need to "upgrade" my OS. I may get back to you on the W7/ubuntu options or if you would be referring me to links you could do that now. I briefly put an older ubuntu (10.04) on my W7 Starter netbook but found it "uninspiring" on that machine. Haven't given up on Linux yet though. I could probably live with W7 until MS abandons it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Yes, windows 7 will feel more like home for you, also you can use classic shell to tweak start menu and other stuff.

I can help you with windows 7 install, no problem.

At least the pages are rendering properly now :D

FranceBB

Post by FranceBB » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:15 pm

They render properly, but there are issues, like if you wanna upload an image to a post on a page and this post has already an image.
Anyway, do you think it's possible to leave Advanced Chrome 54 as it is and just update its JavaScript engine using a later version?
That would solve many problems for XP users.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:38 pm

Sadly the javascript engine v8 is linked to webkit in everyway, suppose they add a new feature to html dom and CSS, the same feature will exist on javascript to have control over it, so a newer javascript won't work with older webkit or blink.

Already tried to inject new blink and new v8 on chrome v50 so it can work on XP but got millions of compiler errors, they change the code a LOT and move stuff around, the new version needs a lot of features that XP don't have, many people have tried this and no luck.

Sooner or later will be imposible to find a working browser for XP.

Shyboy

Post by Shyboy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:58 am

JereT wrote:
> Haven't given up on Linux yet though. I could probably live with W7 until
> MS abandons it.

Happy 2019

There's some russian guy who put atts to Windows XP untill today, security ones, I could try to get the link, I use his packs for W7, so is safe, it's just important atts of security updates, and hell keep it longer than MS (He still making XP's).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:16 pm

Shyboy wrote:
> JereT wrote:
> > Haven't given up on Linux yet though. I could probably live with W7 until
> > MS abandons it.
>
> Happy 2019
>
> There's some russian guy who put atts to Windows XP untill today, security ones, I
> could try to get the link, I use his packs for W7, so is safe, it's just important
> atts of security updates, and hell keep it longer than MS (He still making XP's).

The problem with XP is the older kernel because there are many DLL's that need to be updated to bring XP to the next level but they all depend on the kernel, updating kernel is like running windows 7 so will be better to install windows 7 and make it look and behave like XP.

Shyboy

Post by Shyboy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:03 pm

Yup, before I saw this, I did install Xp in a VM and put it through updates and got nowhere. I'll be staying in windows 7 till a get some PC with a i7 at the minimum, (I couldn't stand the slow animations on a good i5, needless slow animations, for me anyway.), and no notebook I can find has it that don't end with an U, sadly. In brazil.