Disabling hardware acceleration via registry

Post here any problems you may encounter
Andy

Disabling hardware acceleration via registry

Post by Andy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:58 am

Hi there!

I have some old Windows 7 machines running signage. We are getting ready to upgrade them to our new software which is dependent on Advanced Chrome to function properly.

The problem is: Chrome hangs on start up. After some research i found it has something to do with hardware acceleration. If i run chrome with the --disable-gpu flag, it loads up fine. Obviously this isn't desirable, but we are running out of time and need a quick fix.

In order to allow this flag, i would have to do a code change. That is expensive and time consuming (pull requests, Q/A, etc).

I saw somewhere that you can disable hardware acceleration in Google's chrome by setting this flag in the system's registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Chrome]
"HardwareAccelerationModeEnabled"=dword:00000000

I did a search in Advanced Chrome's "chrome.dll" and found the text "HardwareAccelerationModeEnabled", so it's in Advanced Chrome's code.. the problem is, i don't know where in the registry to set that flag. Is it the same as Google's Chrome? Or is it a different path? Does this flag even work anymore since there is a command-line switch to disable it?

Thanks for any insight you can give me on the matter...
-andy.

Andy

Re: Disabling hardware acceleration via registry

Post by Andy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:12 am

Another note: I found the setting in chrome://settings as well. If we can figure out where that setting is stored on the machine, that would probably do the trick as well. I don't think it's in the registry though.

ETA: this is a setting in the user dir in the LocalState file:
{
"hardware_acceleration_mode": {
"enabled": false
}
}

That won't work for us, that would again be a code update. Really, the registry setting is the only place this would work since it's a global state flag.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Disabling hardware acceleration via registry

Post by admin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:51 am

Hello Andy, usually stuff stored at windows registry related to chromium will never have 'chrome' or 'google' so the registry key you found won't work with chromium.

I can not find on chromium source code any registry lookup for HardwareAccelerationModeEnabled, the variable exists becase thats the way the flag is named 'kHardwareAccelerationModeEnabled', what you found is only part of google chrome because they can modify and add features not incluided in chromium.

You have 2 options:
1.- Make computers work with hardware acceleration enabled
2.- Use a custom advanced chrome version that has hardware acceleration disabled by default

For the second option I can make the build for you, it might take 2 hours of development including building and tests, for your part a donation will be very welcome.