Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Any topic
Post Reply
DoaJC_Blogger
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:30 pm

Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by DoaJC_Blogger » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Can someone, perhaps the admin, help me out with compiling an older Windows XP-compatible copy of Chromium? I was able to do a "gclient sync" and get a version from 2015 to compile about 10% before failing. I'd like to work on a fork similar to Advanced Chrome so I would like to learn how the admin started his fork and how he compiles it.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by admin » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:53 pm

Hi, the problem is that depot_tools is designed for newer versions, even if you manage to download it you won't be able to build it easily because it will need older SDK, older everything, I believe the only way is to have an exact old snapshot of the environment.

The first you need to do is install visual studio community edition, I do recommend not doing all of this in your main windows, I always boot to a different drive using VHD BCD boot, if something goes wrong you just delete the image and start over.

You need to follow this guide:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom ... uctions.md

gclient sync takes hours on a slow internet, download is about 12gb or more and contains millions of files.

Then after you download latest version, you can try to checkout some older version and try to compile.
To checkout older version you need to use GIT: git checkout REVISION
You need to find the REVISION number, what i do is check the log of a file and pick one of the revisions:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom ... d_thread.h

After you get all the source code then you can try to build, thats the hardest part.
You need a good computer btw, here got a RYZEN 1800 @4ghz, 16GB, Fast SSD and it takes 1 hour to build, on my older computer took 4 hours, you need lot of CPU cores and lots of DDR4.

Good luck!

DoaJC_Blogger
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by DoaJC_Blogger » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:12 pm

Thank you for the reply. I managed to make it compile by getting an old copy of the depot_tools, but it still doesn't run on Windows XP.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by admin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:25 pm

Many people have tried to make it run on Windows XP and never works, google removed all support and have been adding new code that won't work under XP, making chrome 70+ to work under XP will be much harder than patching version 60, every code they have added since version 50+ will need to be patched to support XP and we are talking about more than 9,000,000 lines of code, not even google with lot of employees will be able to do it.

Dibya
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:48 am

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by Dibya » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:10 am

@admin
Please can you tell me which depot tools shall I use to compile chromium 49?
Where in source code user agent is defined?
I will try to patch chromium 49 with all security patch and try to port newer blink engine into it .

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by admin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:21 pm

Hello!
User agent is at /src/content/common/user_agent.cc
The problem will be mostly the V8 engine that is really interlinked with blink, newer blink means that all the new sandboxing won't work under XP, close to impossible task but good luck!

DoaJC_Blogger
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by DoaJC_Blogger » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:04 pm

@admin: Have you considered implementing a DirectShow-based decoder for Advanced Chrome? That would enable it to decode MP4 and MP3 on Windows XP.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by admin » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:25 am

Maybe would be easier to integrate VLC as internal player on chrome and include all it's features at the same time.

I wonder why people still use XP when fedora, mint and ubuntu will work much better on older hardware.
XP is no longer good for games, no longer good for multimedia, maybe people is afraid of linux but is as simple as burning the iso and install, then download libre office, komodo, sublime text, android studio, virtualbox and whatever you need, all free and away from microsoft.

About windows 10 yesterday downgraded a friend's laptop to windows 7, it was really hard to find drivers but at the end managed to download everything.
Laptop is an HP with 8GB RAM with 5 core AMD R9 CPU, stock windows 10 was doing crazy background stuff for too long, tried killing process and got 'no permission', after hours trying to do stuff windows 10 updated itself without asking and start menu stopped working, damaged itself, unusable and took years to boot, maybe is HP fault but is amazing how bad it is.

With windows 7 boots in seconds and runs 5 times faster like if it was a different computer, I always install classic shell and disable indexing, superfetch, system restore and many other 'features', far from stock windows 7 config.

Making a clean version of windows 10 will be harder, seem like 80% of whatever it includes is useless crap, someday will be forced to update and I will have to remove all the shit.

I use fedora to work and windows 7 for games, hard to believe people still use XP, the only sane reason I can think of is for old games that won't run on windows 7, otherwise XP is ugly, slow, outdated, not free, no new games, no drivers, is abandonware.

What XP can do that any linux free alternative can't?

Alex654
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by Alex654 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:22 am

admin wrote:

> I wonder why people still use XP when fedora, mint and ubuntu will work
> much better on older hardware.
> XP is no longer good for games, no longer good for multimedia, maybe people
> is afraid of linux but is as simple as burning the iso and install, then
> download libre office, komodo, sublime text, android studio, virtualbox and
> whatever you need, all free and away from microsoft.

Because Libre Office needs some time to get used to, and some software like Photoshop or Edius is simply not available for Linux.

As for me, the main problem with Linux is different (less sharp) font rendering. And also I found the sound quality on Linux less fine with its default drivers (tried several veriosns of Ubuntu on VMware Workstation, to be honest).

admin wrote:

> otherwise XP is ugly, slow

Cannot agree with you. XP is much faster (2-3 times) than Win 7 even after all those tweaks. And all the drivers are present (if we take hardware released before 2014, the year when Microsoft ended support for XP). By the way, I tried disabling Superfetch on the same hardware on Windows 7 x86 Pro (with many software installed) and on Windows 7 x64 Pro (less software installed). I have 8Gb of RAM, btw, on x86 4Gb of them are available. The insteresting moment is that on x86 disabling Superfetch made the system boot faster (and work faster too, or at least with the same speed), while on x64 I experienced some slowdown after disabling it (maybe because of more RAM available to x64 version, or some differences in updates installed?).

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by admin » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:14 am

Linux fonts depend on the drivers and sometimes they suck, even there are ways to improve them depending if you have nvidia or ati.

I don't like windows 10, maybe at some point I will be forced to install it because windows 7 will start giving problems, I am happy with windows 7 even if it takes a few seconds more to boot, once it is running I really never had any problem.

The only problem I had with windows 7 was network speed degradation, it was because of network heuristics, fixed it with these commands:

netsh int tcp show global
netsh int tcp show heuristics
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
netsh int tcp set global chimney=enabled
netsh int tcp set global netdma=disabled
netsh int tcp set global dca=disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
netsh int tcp set global congestionprovider=ctcp
netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=disabled
netsh int tcp set global timestamps=disabled
netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp show global
netsh int tcp show heuristics

I like to play PC games so having XP makes no sense.

Alex654
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by Alex654 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:15 pm

admin wrote:

> I like to play PC games so having XP makes no sense.

Then I get your point :)

Thanks for the commands, also. Though as for me - it seems that network speed is higher both on Windows 7 x86 and Windows 7 x64 than on Win XP (roughly about 13-18%). I read somewhere long ago it is because on Win XP some bandwidth is always hard reserved for downloading updates (though I'm not sure it was never fixed with updates, and I have a lot of them installed).

And yes, I have triple boot :)

A week ago I even installed Windows XP x64 Edition as the 4th OS, found all the necessary drivers, installed the needed minimum of software - but still it boots up 20-30% slower, than Win XP x86 (though the latter has a lot of soft and is installed for 7 years already without reinstalling!). As I rarely need to run virtual machines, I'll continue to work and browse the net on XP x86, I think.

As for games - I use only Win 7 x64 Pro for this purpose. If someday I am forced to install Win 10 and the perfomance in games will not suffer much - that's OK for me, even though I don't like the UI/UX style of this OS. As the last resort measure, there is a lot of custom theming software that changes the appearance greatly. I have seen Win 10 themes looking very close to Ubuntu Gnome and even to Mac OS with it's bottom centered app dock.

Also, can you please provide some tips/manuals how to tweak the fonts in Linux even more than it is available through standard system applets (for any Linux distro, but I like Ubuntu most)?

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by admin » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:36 am

For ubuntu you can try:
System > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts and make sure "Subpixel smoothing (LCD)" is selected, then press "Details" then choose "Full" under Hinting.

For fedora had luck installing msttcorefonts to improve them, this is because sometimes font ttf file is configured with too much hinting and replacing the fonts fixes the problem, microsoft fonts are the best, if you have created fonts you might have already familiar with it.

For ubuntu you can download this package:
http://launchpad.net/clearfonts/trunk/0 ... .1_all.deb
You can search on google clearfonts for ubuntu for more info.

Good font rendering depends on drivers, subpixel config and sharp fonts, you can try first replacing fonts, then play with the config and then different drivers because they give different results.

Current trend for fonts make no sense, people seem to dislike sharp fonts.

Alex654
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by Alex654 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:56 am

> For ubuntu you can try:
> System > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts and make sure "Subpixel
> smoothing (LCD)" is selected, then press "Details" then choose
> "Full" under Hinting.

I did this. It looks worse than ClearType on WinXP anyway.

Also, I was using lower resolution than my physical display, so I found Grayscale with Medium hinting the best on Ubuntu in that config. But I should also try using Full HD (native resolution), I suppose.

>and then different drivers because they give different results

In my case it was the VMware virtual graphics driver. Maybe it does not deliver the best results :) Should test on real hardware.

>Current trend for fonts make no sense, people seem to dislike sharp fonts.

When the font is too sharp, and the display is not Retina (with standard DPI) the problem is that some people see sharp glyph edges and their eyes soon become red and teary. I understand them very well. Experienced this thing on notebook with Windows 7 and native 1440x900 resolution. But if the monitor has smaller physical pixels (and higher DPI respectively), even if it's not Retina, that will be OK.

As for now I have a monitor with rather large physical pixels. Tried as an experiment switching to 144 dpi on Win XP in settings and using native resolution. The font began to look ugly: black thick lines and very unequal spaces between glyphs.

So my favourite method is either use ClearType or no antialiasing at all on displays with small dot (e.g. netbooks) on Win XP with native resolution, ClearType and LOWER resolution when using larger displays with Win XP, and use ClearType and native resolution with ANY display on Win 7 (or it will become way too blurry). The trick is that using smaller resolution makes things larger, and makes the text a little bit blurred, but just a little bit.

And when Chromium moved to custom implemented antialiasing using Skia in version 22 it became horrible (not only on lower resolutions, at any in fact, because text became blurry and colored on edges). And because I am using lower resolution, this colored edges on letters for me were even more noticable - but at least the text was more readable because it was simply larger.

What I don't like about Windows 8/8.1/10 - is that the text there became uglier than it was in Win 7. Not only less sharp (but that's also the case), but less "nice" and "accurate". They did something either with fonts or with font renderer, or both.

So I stay on Win 7 for everything that requires "not fully outdated OS" :)

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by admin » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:59 pm

It is because you were on vmware fonts won't display properly, try on real hardware with latest drivers, fonts will improve, everything will.

Alex654
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by Alex654 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:03 pm

admin wrote:
> It is because you were on vmware fonts won't display properly

I suppose that's not the reason, really.

1. I was looking at the text on notebooks with Windows 8.1 in stores, for example when I was buying myself a new monitor in November 2014. Didn't like the text appearance. Yes, it was sharp and well readable, but I didn't like the font itself, the shape of the letters.
2. I was looking on the text on myfriend's laptop with Windows 10. Same thing, but there the text was also less legible (maybe wrong ClearType tuning or just not very good LCD matrix).
3. Finally, when I connected to his laptop with TeamViewer, the text on my screen looked terrible! Much worse than on VMware. Again, I have an uncommon BGR monitor, so I guess it was wrong subpixel ordering (for me) plus resize (Full HD down to 1360x768).

OK, number 3 is not relevant to the discussion. But the fact that the fonts have changed since Windows 8 still stays.

I even have read somewhere from the guys on MS forums that in Universal Apps (like "News") ClearType doesn't work at all because of some technical limitations. And indeed, text there looks blurry as it was grayscale antialiased (but also badly, in Win XP grayscale algorythm was really good).

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by admin » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:24 am

My laptop is a lenovo y580, 720p and never had any problem, I like everything sharp like GDI era and for now it works.

Also went to a store to check new laptops and LCDs are terrible, maybe using it for a month you might get used to it but that doesn't change they mostly selling cheap displays.

I have also a very old samsung 32 inch tv 1080p that looks better than newer samsung when connected to my PC

They seem to manufacture crap these days, every year I wonder if they can make it any worse.

DoaJC_Blogger
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:30 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by DoaJC_Blogger » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 am

I got Chromium from 2015 to compile and run on Windows XP. I was able to compile both 32 and 64 bit versions and the 64-bit version ran on 64-bit Windows XP.

I'm still interested in writing my own XP-compatible fork. I heard on IRC that it might be easier to make a current version of Chromium run on Windows XP than to try and work through all the commits made since April 2016. I'm wondering what people think of that. Could it be done?

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by admin » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:58 am

Hello, yes will be "easier" but any approach will be close to impossible.

You will need to be a very experienced developer, with much better skills than half of the staff of current google team, replacing the sandbox model of newer chrome to an unsafe way for XP won't be easy and probably will introduce many vulnerabilities.

Suppose you have a team of 10 developers with very good skills, maybe you can downgrade v75 for XP in about 1 year.

Alex654
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by Alex654 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:16 pm

> replacing the sandbox model of newer chrome to an unsafe way for XP won't be easy

Why the new sandbox cannot be run on XP under any circumstances? Maybe it may be ported?

>and probably will introduce many vulnerabilities

Many users as I just don't care :)

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by admin » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:01 pm

Sandbox uses kernel functions that XP never had, you will have to remove all of them, It is a nightmare I can't even imagine!

blackwingcat
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by blackwingcat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:38 am

> I'm still interested in writing my own XP-compatible fork. I heard on IRC that it might be easier to make a current version of Chromium run on Windows XP than to try and work through all the commits made since April 2016. I'm wondering what people think of that. Could it be done?

Hi, DoaJC_Blogger

Perhaps I can help you. :3
I think XP compatible chrome should pass through the sandbox function your security soft.

Alex654
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by Alex654 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:54 am

>you will have to remove all of them

Or implement them using Win XP kernel functions (emulate). Some people make patched kernels for Win 2K/XP, as you might know, so it is possible, though really hard.

In fact I think the problem is not the sandbox (it can be disabled completely somewhere in source code by some flag, I'm sure). The problem is their switch to Ignition/Turbofan for interpreting/compiling JavaScript in V8 as about version 56, and that new modules (inside V8) are highly likely Windows XP incompatible because they use Windows 7 and higher API. And that is critical, because we probably want to have latest V8 with all the new JavaScript features supported.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by admin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:59 pm

Even if you disable sandbox flag, the compiler will still look for all the functions, you have to edit all the code, around 400 files to remove all stuff not compatible with XP.

Alex654
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Re: Help with compiling Chromium from 2015

Post by Alex654 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:38 am

> around 400 files to remove all stuff not compatible with XP

That's a huge amount of work. Though I think 60-70% of that can be simply cut out (some features that are used very seldom by people).

Post Reply